Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Speaking to the Rhizome

It’s true MTV, where is the cinema within the Rhizomatic model? In hindsight, given our current position as members of a larger digital community, it might be said that Deleuze and Guattari were envisioning the development and use of interactive new media forms.
In looking at the wave of hypertext/new media/internet art from the early 90s up until now you will find evidence of the Rhizomatic method or philosophy. Within these forms the creation of multiplicity is conceivable, the participant once referred to as spectator or even viewer is now a free agent, able to interact with an art work as they see fit bypassing notions of a beginning, middle or end or traditional narrative or literary structures or hierarchies.
On the contrary does "true" multiplicity even exist?, these works perhaps do not embody a “true” rhizome. Just as with literature, or with cinema where there are clear conventions to the construction of meaning and how a spectator navigates through a text, these conventions also exist within the formation of new media art. As the architect or artist of a project I so choose how and where my agent with enter into the text or work, and I more or less consciously Guide their navigation. I have seen all possible beginnings, middles and ends? Does this make sense? I have the foresight because I understand all desired outcomes? Does this make sense?


I offer the example of a Rhizome containing Rhizomatic works: http://www.rhizome.org/ (has anyone been to the New Museum? Is it “fun”?)

I also offer one of my favorite pieces of old school net art: My Boyfriend Came Back from the War

No comments:

Post a Comment